Saturday, July 14, 2018

I Want To Believe In DC Comics Again

The heart and soul of DC Comics

The heart and soul of DC Comics[/caption] For the longest time I read comics religiously. In fact, from 1992-2005 I did. Then some issues of the financial matter made comics a low priority. I still tried to keep up with my favorite creators like Bendis, Jurgens, and Millar. But after awhile I got a bit lost.
I’m a DC guy for the most part. I’ve been known to make mine Marvel, but when it comes to parting with my hard earned cash now it seems to be 90% DC and 10% Archie. (Mark Waid can seriously write anything.) Obviously I follow writers. I used to just read titles, but then I started leaving when writers did. Chuck Dixon left Robin and Nightwing? I’m out. Chris Claremont is back on X-Men? I’m out. I tried to like New 52. I really did. I was excited about The Shade. I jumped on board when they gave Rob Liefeld 3 books. When John Romita Jr jumped to Superman, I was there. But the New 52 didn’t feel right. I missed MY Superman. This solar flare bullshit wasn’t the Kal-El I knew and loved. If you read the bio page, you know that I’m in my 30s. Kyle Rayner is my Green Lantern, Wally West is my Flash, and Jason Todd is dead as shit. So seeing all those things change didn’t work for me. And it seems like that was a message that DC was getting from a lot of readers. I had a gut feeling that the New 52 would last 52 issues and things would revert back to a pre Flashpoint era. And my god, when they announced DC Rebirth, I was excited for the possibilities. The day of DC Rebirth, I had planned to hit my LCS and make my purchases. But I ended up going digital that day. So there I was, hitting the right arrow key of DC Rebirth #1 in my office. And there he was. I screamed out loud when I saw him. A face gone for 5 years. Wally. Fucking. West. My Flash. Geoff Johns had taken the last 5 years and tied it all together and brought everyone back from the brink and into the world we had loved for so long. For the first time in years I’m excited about comics. My Flash is back. Dan Jurgens is writing a book about the proper Superman. Tim Drake looks like Robin again. Life is good for the 30-something comic reader, and for the first time in a long time I look forward to Wednesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment